Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

MTS Movie Night #4 - posted on Today at 4:46 PM
Replies: 5 (Who?), Viewed: 662 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 2:21 AM
Default CAW Textures Help: Road Lines
I recently made a comment on a thread about CAW textures, which brought up a thought.
As some of you may know, I tent to work with CAW, and I have found a VERY useful "mod" to add road textures: Road Textures by Elmigo https://modthesims.info/t/printthread.php?t=495278
I have noticed an issue though.
The dafault road lines have two yellow solid lines in the middle, and two solid white lines on the sides. When zooming out to put it in low LOD, the white lines begin to turn yellow...?
Also, with Elmigo's road line textures, the yellow lines begin to turn white...?
Here is a screenshot of it:

Anyone got any ideas as to why these files are like this, and how to fix it?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 8:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgrey1997
I recently made a comment on a thread about CAW textures, which brought up a thought.
As some of you may know, I tent to work with CAW, and I have found a VERY useful "mod" to add road textures: Road Textures by Elmigo https://modthesims.info/t/printthread.php?t=495278
I have noticed an issue though.
The dafault road lines have two yellow solid lines in the middle, and two solid white lines on the sides. When zooming out to put it in low LOD, the white lines begin to turn yellow...?
Also, with Elmigo's road line textures, the yellow lines begin to turn white...?
Here is a screenshot of it:

Anyone got any ideas as to why these files are like this, and how to fix it?


The default road detail textures, streetTile_stripes.dds, did this to me as well. It turned out to be a simple fix. The invisible parts of the dds were all coloured yellow. That means that when the mipmaps for the dds are generated, it is blending yellow into the white lines because that's the colour of the invisible pixels around them. All you need to do is open it up and recolour 1/3 of the alpha 0 pixels on either end of the image white.

Or just download the attached fixed road stripes dds
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: zip StreetLinesFixed.zip (5.9 KB, 0 downloads) - View custom content
Description: 2 files: aaw_streetTile_stripes.dds, streetTile_stripes dds with fixed white lines; and aaw_streetTile_stripes_nocenter.dds, the previous but with the center line removed.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Feb 2018 at 4:01 AM
Thank you for the reply.
So, if the default lines have yellow in the alpha, does that mean that these modded textures have white around the yellow lines?
How do I actually edit them? I use Paint.net to edit my dds files. There is a "alpha" section of the color tab, but it is only a white-black thing.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#4 Old 12th Feb 2018 at 6:03 PM Last edited by anamericanwaste : 12th Feb 2018 at 6:08 PM. Reason: type-o: changed "layers" to "layer"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgrey1997
Thank you for the reply.
So, if the default lines have yellow in the alpha, does that mean that these modded textures have white around the yellow lines?
How do I actually edit them? I use Paint.net to edit my dds files. There is a "alpha" section of the color tab, but it is only a white-black thing.


Ya, it's almost a definite that if it's changing to white, then those lines were done over a white background that was then set to transparent or some-such. Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about paint.net so i can't give you explicate instructions on how to correct the files using that program. Hopefully paint doesn't fall too far outside the standard graphics editing setup and you can figure out how to edit them in paint.net if I tell you how I did it in GIMP.

So, how I changed the color of the transparent pixels:
  1. Open the .dds but don't bother loading any mipmaps. You should now have an image open with a single layer showing the lines or what ever the .dds has.
  2. Create a new layer and move it under the main image layer.
  3. Working on the new blank layer you made and moved to the bottom, color all areas the color the invisible pixels in that area should be. If editing streetTile_stripes.dds to make all lines blur out with proper color, your image should look something like this when you're done with this step.
  4. Select the top original layer and create a mask from its alpha channel.
  5. Select the mask for editing and select all then copy to copy the entire mask.
  6. Merge the two layers into one.
  7. Add a mask to the newly merged layer.
  8. Select the mask for editing and select all then paste in place and anchor the newly pasted content if necessary.
  9. Apply the layer mask. You should now have a single layered image that looks exactly like it did when you started this. The only difference is the transparent pixels are now what ever color you painted on that bottom layer.
  10. Export the image as a BC3/DTX5 dds with mipmaps and you're done.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Feb 2018 at 8:02 PM
Thank you. Paint.net has the same system with layers, so I should be aboe to figure it out. Worst case, you used Gimo, which is also free, so I can simply download it and do it there! I only said Paint.net as I was worried someone would come about with Photoshop instructions (which tend to be a good bit different than any free program). I will give it a shot as soon as I get done with my roads!
By the way, say I edit this file, but override the original with the fixed, using the same name, will all roads in the map that use that texture automatically update, or do I need to go and replace each one?
Test Subject
#6 Old Yesterday at 8:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgrey1997
By the way, say I edit this file, but override the original with the fixed, using the same name, will all roads in the map that use that texture automatically update, or do I need to go and replace each one?


They should but like anything in CAW and the sims in general, what should happen and what dose happen are not necessarily the same thing.

If your textures don't update, going into edit road, choosing a different texture, leaving edit road, then going back and reselecting the old updated one should do the trick. You also might need to do something to the terrain or roads (put down a bit of terrain paint then remove it, move a road then move it back, etc) in the chunks that the updated road runs through to make sure CAW updates it's low LOD chunk textures if the roads still look like they are using old textures when you zoom out.
Back to top